How to Write an Essay
Being one of the most popular kinds of academic writing assignments, essays vary in length, type, and particular requirements. But, despite the differences, there are a few specific rules that apply to all essays and should be considered by all students. These include the basic structure of an essay, as well as several characteristics that distinguish essays from other academic papers.
Essay structure normally consists of three basic parts:
a) an introduction
b) a main body
c) a conclusion
The main objective to keep in mind is that while developing your ideas and thoughts in a written form, you should make sure that your transitions from one section to the other are smooth and logical. The best way to achieve this is by first creating an outline for your essay, where you brainstorm and sketch all of the ideas you would like to discuss, and then think of the most logical way to arrange them so that your thoughts flow in a natural and clear way, making your essay a well-balanced and sophisticated piece of writing.
Apart from having a clear structure, a successful essay should meet a number of other criteria. Consider these points to perfect your essay writing skills:
• Before starting your essay, think of the main objective that you set for yourself and keep it in mind throughout your writing. This helps to balance your thoughts and stick to the initial main idea instead of moving too far from it and losing yourself in details.
• Make sure you know what you are writing about. Primary research is almost always obligatory.
• Try to start each paragraph with a topic sentence, then develop it in the following sentences, and end with a conclusion. Basically, the structure for the whole essay should be apparent in each of your paragraphs.
• Do not be afraid to go into details. When writing is too general, it is hard to make a clear point. Provide examples, include detailed description where necessary – just make sure to return to the main idea at the end of your paragraph and summarize with a general thought.
• Be creative in your writing. Whether it is a formal or an informal essay that you were assigned to complete, it should be innovative and interesting for the reader. So, make sure to take enough time to form your ideas instead of rushing into writing right away.
• Do a thorough proofreading after you have completed your essay. It is always best to lay your writing aside for a day or two and then take a fresh look at your own work to analyze it more objectively and eliminate any flaws.
Also see our best essay samples to link theory with practice.
People often make judgments about their surroundings, the people they meet, and even themselves. Each day we face various scenarios and individuals, and to act … Continue reading
An analysis essay assumes that you break a larger subject into subcategories and then examine each of them to form an opinion about the whole. … Continue reading
There are two basic types of summaries. First, a reader summary, that you compose to develop a better understanding of what you have read. Second, … Continue reading
In a reflective essay, you need to express your thoughts and emotions about certain events or phenomena. Writing this type of essay provides solid training … Continue reading
In a definition essay, you explain the meaning of a certain term by giving a detailed description of it, and support your definition with clear … Continue reading
When you write a cause and effect essay, you need to explain how specific conditions or events translate into certain effects. In other words, your … Continue reading
A descriptive essay is a form of academic writing that is built around a detailed description of a person, building, place, situation, notion, etc. The … Continue reading
A critical essay is a piece of academic writing that is usually in the form of a classic composition: introduction, full body, and a summarizing conclusion. … Continue reading
There are three main types of expository essays: scholarly writing used mainly for academic purposes, which describe or examine a process in a comprehensive way; … Continue reading
A persuasive essay is a form of academic writing that is built around a certain argument. Persuasive essays are sometimes called argumentative essays because of … Continue reading
A narrative essay is a form of academic writing that is built around a narration of a certain event or situation. A narrative essay is … Continue reading