Known as the miraculous writer who wrote “On the Road,” a Beatnik classic, Kerouac can be rightly said to be the top Beat in history. He supercharged the counterculture movement, which eventually resulted in the hippie movement in the 1960s and his influence continues into the present. I have always enjoyed his writing tips, as they are written in his trademark style: delirious, spontaneous, and free.
When asked by fellow writers how he wrote, Kerouac composed 30 essentials called, “Belief and Technique for Modern Prose.” If they don’t make complete sense to you, that’s Kerouac, man.
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy.
- Submissive to everything, open, listening.
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house.
- Be in love with yr life.
- Something that you feel will find its own form.
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind.
- Blow as deep as you want to blow.
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind.
- The unspeakable visions of the individual.
- No time for poetry but exactly what is.
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest.
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you.
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition.
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time.
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog.
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye.
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself.
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea.
- Accept loss forever.
- Believe in the holy contour of life.
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind.
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better.
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning.
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge.
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it.
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form.
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness.
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better.
- You’re a Genius all the time.
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven.
Did you like this guide / sample?
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by anonymous
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by anonymous
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by anonymous
- sending tickets for an event asked by anonymous