Known as the miraculous writer who wrote “On the Road,” a Beatnik classic, Kerouac can be rightly said to be the top Beat in history. He supercharged the counterculture movement, which eventually resulted in the hippie movement in the 1960s and his influence continues into the present. I have always enjoyed his writing tips, as they are written in his trademark style: delirious, spontaneous, and free.
When asked by fellow writers how he wrote, Kerouac composed 30 essentials called, “Belief and Technique for Modern Prose.” If they don’t make complete sense to you, that’s Kerouac, man.
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy.
- Submissive to everything, open, listening.
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house.
- Be in love with yr life.
- Something that you feel will find its own form.
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind.
- Blow as deep as you want to blow.
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind.
- The unspeakable visions of the individual.
- No time for poetry but exactly what is.
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest.
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you.
- Remove literary, grammatical, and syntactical inhibition.
- Like Proust, be an old teahead of time.
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog.
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye.
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself.
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea.
- Accept loss forever.
- Believe in the holy contour of life.
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind.
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better.
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning.
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge.
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it.
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form.
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness.
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better.
- You’re a Genius all the time.
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven.
Follow us on Reddit for more insights and updates.
Samples for Jack Kerouac's Writing Advice
Famous Writing Quotes
To give further insight into how to begin writing, what the composition process is like, and how one should edit their work, we have provided a compilation of sayings from ...
Welcome to A*Help comments!
We’re all about debate and discussion at A*Help.
We value the diverse opinions of users, so you may find points of view that you don’t agree with. And that’s cool. However, there are certain things we’re not OK with: attempts to manipulate our data in any way, for example, or the posting of discriminative, offensive, hateful, or disparaging material.