Why do professional sportsmen and sportswomen garner millions of dollars by simply shooting a ball into a net, for instance? Many other examples can be provided of such almost senseless sports activities that have somehow formed a lucrative empire of “entertainment.” While people around the world are starving to death due to a lack of food, health care, and shelter, other people are watching famous sports personalities score goals and points. When considering the suffering globally resulting from a lack of funds, spending money on sporting events seems like a rather misguided purchase.
Take the figures: in 2013 alone, 33.7 billion dollars were spent on major sporting events globally. That means in only one year, the amount spent on major sporting event tickets would be enough to rebuild the infrastructure of the recently demolished Gaza Strip and feed its inhabitants three meals a day for seven months (Forques Magazine). We need to set our priorities straight—what is more important to us: seeing our favorite teams compete and the culture surrounding that competition, or saving the lives of those that are terribly affected by ravishing
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by anonymous
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by anonymous
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by anonymous
- sending tickets for an event asked by anonymous