When to Use the En Dash:
1. To show periods of time.
I will be in Poland from the 23rd-25th of April.
2. To combine two open compounds (words that have an adjective and modifying noun to form a new word).
I attended a real estate-money lender seminar.
When to Use the Em Dash:
1. For emphasis.
I love you—the only person I will love—forever.
2. A sudden change of thought.
I wanted you to—oh, never mind.
3. Show a surprise.
Behind the dark door lurked a languid creature—an old bat who had lost its way.
Did you like this guide / sample?
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by anonymous
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by anonymous
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by anonymous
- sending tickets for an event asked by anonymous