What is It?
It deals with the verbs used to or would, or the simple past tense of a verb (I saw, you called).
When to Use?
|* Describe a situation that was in the past, but no longer exists.||1. We used to have a big fluffy dog who would lick us top to bottom, but then it got sick and soon died.
|*Show how an event happened repeatedly or continuously.||1. We would buy caramel candies and root beer every Friday.
Important Extra: Time-Specific
There is a different type of past habitual tense called time-specific past habitual. It uses the word before.
- Before becoming a master-level chess player, I studied over 30 books on chess.
- Before we married, we dated for 60 years.
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by Admin
- What is a good thesis statement against euthanasia asked by Anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by Admin
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by Admin
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by Admin