What is It?
The past perfect is had + a verb in passive voice (past particle).
When to Use?
|*Show how something happened before another action in the past.||1. I had never seen such a beautiful desert in Arizona before.2. Brain knew Chicago well because he had visited the city several times.|
|*Show how an event started in the past and continued until another event.||1. Before Liam finished his BA degree, he had been to India four times.2. My parents felt sad selling their house, as they had owned it for over 30 years.|
Unlike the present perfect, the past perfect tense can use specific time words or phrases.
Example: He had visited his Hungarian relatives in 2002 before he moved to Ukraine in 2003.
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by Admin
- What is a good thesis statement against euthanasia asked by Anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by Admin
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by Admin
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by Admin