What is a Disruptive Modifier?
It is a modifier (a word or phrase that enhances other words) placed in the wrong place. However, it is different from a misplaced modifier. A disruptive modifier is a part of a sentence that obstructs the natural flow of a sentence due to it being placed between a verb and an object.
e.g. I am supposed to check every single day my inbox messages for vacancy notifications.
In this particular case, every single day prevents the free flow of the sentence, and hence is referred to as a disruptive modifier.
Disruptive modifiers are often represented with split infinitives.
e.g. My friend wants to faster pass all the exams.
Students were told to always submit their papers on time. (split infinitive)
Whatever people say, I remain a valuable, despite of my age, employee of this company. (disruptive modifier)
I find it unacceptable to even sometimes be late for a business meeting. (split infinitive)
I would want to never see it again! It was disgusting! (split infinitive)
No need to emphasize how Mr. Karter is the best possible candidate, due to his rich experience in the sphere of art direction, for this position. (disruptive modifier)
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips
- Purchase seedy genericos tabs no prescription asked by Anonymous
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by Admin
- What is a good thesis statement against euthanasia asked by Anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by Admin
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by Admin