Keeping up with the good tradition to post some quotes by famous authors, today I decided to dedicate a post to Jane Austen, the author of the marvelous novel “Pride and Prejudice” (by the way, make sure to watch the TV mini-series filmed in Great Britain in 1995—it’s awesome!). No doubt, Jane Austen had wisdom, and although not all of her quotes are about writing, one can learn a lot from her.
- “One man’s style must not be the rule of another’s” (I guess this one wasn’t about writing, but I believe it can be used this way).
- “An artist cannot do anything slovenly” (and again, just substitute “writer” with “artist,” and you will get a perfect piece of writing advice).
- “A person, who can write a long letter with ease, cannot write ill.”
- “The true art of letter-writing […] is to express on paper exactly what one would say to the same person by word of mouth.”
- “I could no more write a romance than an epic poem. I could not sit seriously down to write a serious romance under any other motive than to save my life; and if it were indispensable for me to keep it up and never relax into laughing at myself or other people, I am sure I should be hung before I had finished the first chapter. No, I must keep to my own style and go on in my own way; and though I may never succeed again in that, I am convinced that I should totally fail in any other.”
- “Walter Scott has no business to write novels, especially good ones. It is not fair. He has fame and profit enough as a poet, and should not be taking the bread out of other people’s mouths” (well, maybe this cannot be taken as advice, but it’s fun to witness relationships between famous people of that time, isn’t it?)
- “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!”
Have fun, and see you here next time!
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by Admin
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by Admin
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by Admin
- Divergent Novel Thesis Statement asked by Admin
- What is a good thesis statement against euthanasia asked by Anonymous