How to make your thesis statement brilliant
- Make it specific, but not too specific.
- Indicate what you are going to write about later.
- Don’t begin with “This paper” and other cookie-cutter phrases.
- Show valid support.
- Be assertive.
Create an outline that will keep you on track
- Put your thesis statement at the top.
- Write bullet points for each section of your paper.
- Use keywords and phrases instead of detailed notes.
- Number and order your outline in a logical manner.
Topic sentences are your best friends
- A good topic sentence transitions from the previous paragraph and tells the reader what the current paragraph is about.
- Find a balance between being too specific and too general.
- They shouldn’t sound like they came out of the blue.
Transition to fruition
- Make your transitions organic.
- Ideally, you should have a transition at the beginning and end of each paragraph.
- Use keywords and phrases from previous paragraphs.
- A transition does not need to be longer than one sentence.
Conclude like a dude (or dudette)
- Show why the paper was important.
- Don’t just summarize. Synthesize. Show how your main points and examples fit together.
- Give readers something to think about after reading your paper.
- Don’t apologize or sound timid.
- Read your paper out loud while editing. You will hear different mistakes where a silent reading does not allow you to notice such mistakes.
- Read your paper backwards, from bottom to top. It may sound weird, but it will help your brain to find flaws you wouldn’t see normally.
Did you like this guide / sample?
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips
- Thesis statement and compare contrast essay asked by Admin
- Purchase seedy genericos tabs no prescription asked by Anonymous
- Gender stereotypes persuasive essay asked by Admin
- What is a good thesis statement against euthanasia asked by Anonymous
- Which of the following would best work as the title of an explanatory essay? asked by Admin