Nowadays, it is popular to compose all kinds of ratings, aimed at helping people quickly figure out what is worth their attention, and what is not, be it for movies, bands, restaurants, books, etc. Today, I thought it would be nice of me to provide you with a list of books you should not read under any circumstances.
1. The Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley. People who believe Crowley was a magician or something should get to know how he developed his weird ideas.
2. The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey. This is just as stupid as “occult” movies of the 1950s. Not as fun, however.
3. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Some claim this novel to be genius, and compare it with Fyodor Dostoevsky’s literary heritage. To me, this is an obnoxious book full of gore and perverted sex under a guise of a plot—I liked the scrupulous super-detailed descriptions of people and things though.
4. Manson in His Own Words by Charles Manson. Come on, that’s not even funny.
5. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. Well, I don’t know who would want to read it anyway. Propaganda, racial theory, twisted historical facts, and the author’s personal insult against the unfair world can be easily felt in every line of it.
6. Blood Electric by Kenji Shiratori. If it was a literary experiment, it failed. If it was a serious attempt to get out of the literary box, it failed as well. No matter from which angle you look, this book is a failure.
7. Inside the Playboy Mansion by Gretchen Edgren and Hugh Hefner. Every time I see a photo of Hefner and his beauties (in media or elsewhere), I immediately start feeling pity for him. Some would say it’s jealousy, but all I imagine when I hear “Playboy mansion” is an old rich dude surrounded by girls willing to become famous no matter what.
8. The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson. This is the second Manson on my list, but the book is still junk. Although he’s got style, I must admit.
9. Exposing Myself by Geraldo Rivera. No comments. No comments. No comments.
10. White Power by George Lincoln Rockwell. Well, what can I say… don’t read.
Unfortunately, the list of books one should not read cannot be limited with these 10. There are many other books to avoid, so my only advice is, “Pay attention to what you read, and be careful.”
Follow us on Reddit for more insights and updates.
Welcome to A*Help comments!
We’re all about debate and discussion at A*Help.
We value the diverse opinions of users, so you may find points of view that you don’t agree with. And that’s cool. However, there are certain things we’re not OK with: attempts to manipulate our data in any way, for example, or the posting of discriminative, offensive, hateful, or disparaging material.